@March 23, 2022 9:02 AM (CDT)
Neil Young- Harvest Moon.. in an Austin lobby.. stylish out-of-towners.. thought on Ukraine.. on having an opinion.. a soup of thoughts going upcaptured
@March 23, 2022 9:18 AM (CDT)
Thoughts to pick up on.. picking your game.. the two spectrums of love.. no culture, war, and men.. anxieties of fame.. Texas bbq.. the crew.. Putin empathizers.. midwit algorithms..
@March 23, 2022 12:45 PM (CDT)
- Bob Dylan: imagery
- Jack Kerouac: personal
- Hunter S. Thompson: humor
- Kurt Vonnegut: dream-like
- Radiohead: technical
@March 23, 2022 5:37 PM (CDT)
There are different scales of imitation. It could be at the voice level— rhythm, tone, rhyme, imagery— which is then laced through all words. Then there’s imitation at the level of structure, ranging from sentence structure to story structure.
@March 23, 2022 6:03 PM (CDT)
The science of replications brings on challenges of authenticity. I can become anyone, but who am I?
@March 23, 2022 9:04 PM (CDT)
Quirkiness + deep conviction
@March 23, 2022 10:06 PM (CDT)
A group hangs out among picnic tables, wedged between a gutted Victorian home and Austin’s South Congress. Everyone is brought here— allured— attracted by a common bond— not through circumstance, but through a shared fire for online writing. An exchange of words and laughs— between co-workers, internet friends, locals and out-of-towners, a few who are wealthy, famous, or both— either secretly or openly. But all the context and circumstance evaporates— it’s flattened— the hierarchies are thin, if any, and in the open flow of ideas, everyone can lean in to their weirdness.
- upstairs crowded, 60% table — move outside
- Jimmy Song, idea for Arnold Schwarzenegger curation essay
- Charlie Becker drove 3 hours from Houston on day of
- talk with Joe about high school education
- Zakk - after writing every week day for a year, met in person, Cabin sticker
- Zakk & David - WOP stories, rocket vs. pivot
- David & Jess - laughing over me being blind to context clues
- Charlie— stories on WOP experience & Houston
- Story of being assaulted by a Greek billionaire
- Raza - live music scene in Austin, talk on the Studio, 1st time a “read your essay” comment
- Will, Jimmy, Arthur - essay structures, logloglog
- Uber home with Dan— talks on Austin vibes
- Uber driver— in a bind— likes a girl who smells bad, Boyz II Men concert